– This contest is open only to writers who have not yet published a full-length manuscript or chapbook in any genre.
-Manuscripts may be between 16 – 24 pages
- Please include a title page with ONLY the title, a table of contents, and an acknowledgements page (not included in page count).
- Open to poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and mixed- or hybrid-genre works (prose poems, flash fiction, a lyric essay bookended by two poems, a short story sandwiched between poems, one long-ish short story or memoir, 24 pages of poems, and any other combination that might be missing in this list).
- Thematically-linked works are encouraged, but not required. Quality is the only criteria.
- Collection as a whole must be unpublished, but individual publications are fine.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw it immediately if someone else snatches up your amazing work before we do.
– Prize: 50 hand-bound copies of your winning chapbook, to use however you’d like (sell them, give them away, make a modern art installation in your living room, etc.) Paper Nautilus will be selling an additional limited number of copies through our website or at literary events - for which the winner will receive 10% royalties - but the rest are yours.
– Entry fee: $5, payable through Submittable. If this fee is an economic hardship to an eligible submitter, please contact us, and we will do everything possible to work with you.
– Entry period: February 15 – May 15
– Expected announcement of winner: (approximately) September 1st.
– Expected date of publication: (approximately) March 2019.
– Contest entries will be judged by Lisa Mangini, Paper Nautilus Editor in Chief.